COFFEE MORNINGSEvery Friday from 9am in the Community Room on Mount Pleasant Site.
On Friday 10th November, we held an E-Safety Coffee morning at Harrington Hill.
We began our time by discussing what E-Safety involves and parents/carers’ shared their initial thoughts on the topic.
We then discussed our experiences of how technology is used in our families and the different devices, apps and websites regularly used.
After watching a thought-provoking video questioning how much we know of our children’s experiences online, we shared concerns and helpful tips aimed at supporting young people to become more ‘digitally resilient’.
Here are some of the top tips shared by parents/carers and teachers:
· Limit use of technology to communal areas
· Consider introducing ‘technology curfews’ ie limiting the amount of time used on devices/online and curbing use of devices after a certain time in the evening. No technology at the dinner table rule!
· Using child-friendly versions of sites/apps ie ‘YouTube kids’
· Being the sole keeper of the device charger!
· Ensuring filters are set and virus protection software is installed
· Prioritising fun family time (ie board games, reading books together, drawing etc)
At the end of the coffee morning, those who attended felt that a parent/carer practical support session would be helpful in helping them feel more confident applying different settings to their devices and building on their understanding of different apps and how they work.
Watch this space!
PARENT/CARERS COFFEE MORNINGS
Every Friday morning from 9am in the Community Room on Mount Pleasant Site.
It is an opportunity to meet and chat with other parents and carers
Come along and tell us what your child loves best about school!
What are they enjoying this term so far?
What are they looking forward to?
What do they tell you about their school day when they get home?
We’d love to hear about your family and their time at school!
Drop your children in class and come join us for free refreshments!